6.27.2006

Why I Dislike PC (political correctness)

I work for a publisher of textbooks and I happened on a Sensitivity Guidelines document. The top of page 3 cracked me up. Yeah, we don't want to get them REALLY pissed off at us.

10 comments:

Speckledpup said...

I dislike P.C. also....
welcome to my world.

The Pup.

dot said...

Lol!

Kayla said...

I'm screwed...
I use "girl" all the time, for all ages

Yikes..I'm afraid to say anything else
=0)

Chloe said...

I mean, we can pretty up the names, but we all know we kept slaves.

Among other things.

Changing the name may seem respectful, but to me it seems like we're just trying to minimize the atrocity. Which is itself a pretty atrocious thing.

b o o said...

oh dear.

Anonymous said...

A little OTT, yes!

Dakota said...

Wow…I am not as Political Correct as I thought!Shame on me….
I should probably read these guidelines more often ;)

Rayya Ghul said...

I notice they don't seem to have a problem with putting 'Muslim' and 'terrorist' together though. I suppose that's just typical of American Imperialists.

Phil said...

It's more of a grammatical issue I think. And it is a specific group. Groups sort of like the this.
It could sound like they are lumping everyone together though

If they put:
American Imperialist Dogz, that would be incorrect

Anonymous said...

How far have we come, and how much have we lost along the way?

My god, what a horrible document.

Use 'undocumented worker' instead of 'illegal alien' was a lovely one.
Oh, oh, we're not allowed to use MANkind (sexist, apparently) but we use 'humankind'.

I need to vomit. No, wait, 'eat in reverse'.